American military drone allegedly shot down by Iranian revolutionary guard

Staff Writer | Jun 21, 2019
On Thursday 20 June an American military drone was shot down in the Strait of Hormuz South of Iran, according to a statement from the US military’s central command.

The statement claimed that the drone in question was over international waters at the time it was shot down and that this was an unprovoked attack on an American military asset. 

The Iranian revolutionary guard in a statement to Iran’s state-run news agency, did not contest that they had shot down the drone but claimed that it was in Iranian airspace at the time and that they were defending the airspace of Iran from an unauthorized aircraft.  

Iranian news identified the drone as a reconnaissance aircraft. 

The Iranian guard’s commander in chief said that the downing of the drone sent a “clear message” to the United States that Iran would not tolerate the violation of its boarders. 

This incident is the latest in a series of confrontations between the United States and Iran in the straits of Hormuz. 

Last week 2 oil tankers in the area were attacked by what the United States claimed were assets of Iran, a claim that Iran has aggressively denied. 

American President Donald Trump said that Iran had "made a very big mistake”.

However, he told reporters it could have been the result of human error, saying: "I find it hard to believe it was intentional."

Iran said the drone had violated Iranian airspace, but the US military denied this.

Iran's Foreign Minister Javad Zarif said Iran would take its complaint that the US "encroaches on our territory" to the UN.

 

If you like what you have just read, become a Friend of the IRR if you aren’t already one by SMSing your name to 32823 or clicking here. Each SMS costs R1.’ Terms & Conditions Apply.

 


comments powered by Disqus