Sisulu meets ambassadors over xenophobia

Staff Writer | Apr 01, 2019
Xenophobia threatens to become violent after the elections.

Anonymous messages are warning against the employment of foreign nationals.

Threats of massive violence against foreign nationals after the May 8 general elections, has generated high levels of fear in immigrant communities.

The government is so concerned by the possible damage that these threats may do to the image of the country that International Relations and Cooperation Minister Lindiwe Sisulu called an urgent meeting with African ambassadors on Saturday 30 March.

The government said it was concerned about the reported attacks on foreign nationals in KwaZulu-Natal, and urged law enforcement agencies to ensure that perpetrators of these violent acts were brought to book.

Last week more than 150 foreigners living in an informal settlement in Clare Estate in Durban had to flee the area after they were attacked by a group of men.

Saturday’s meeting with foreign envoys was called to discuss the current spate of violence targeting foreign nationals and their properties.

“The minister has expressed serious concern about the situation, and called on law-enforcement officers to deal with criminals and those damaging properties with the full might of the law,” international relations department spokesperson Ndivhuwo Mabaya said in a statement on Saturday.

Executive Secretary of Africa Diaspora Forum Gabriel Hertis played down the recent attacks on foreign nationals in Durban, adding that the situation is under control “according to information at our disposal”.

He says messages circulating on social media that are not factually verified, are not helping the situation.


comments powered by Disqus