Two arrested for murder of soldier found in boot of burnt-out car

Staff Writer | Aug 26, 2019
It has been confirmed that the body found in the boot of a burnt-out car in Mfuleni, Cape Town last weekend was a soldier deployed in the Western Cape’s anti-crime Operation Lockdown.

The Western Cape MEC for community safety, Albert Fritz, condemned ‘the burning of a South African National Defence Force (SANDF) soldier in his car’ on 18 August.

He said the SANDF had confirmed that the 41-year-old victim was a soldier deployed in Operation Lockdown.

‘The discovery was made after the City of Cape Town's Fire and Rescue Services extinguished the fire early (last) Sunday morning. A fire engine from Mfuleni and a rescue vehicle from Kuilsriver Fire Station were dispatched to the incident.’

Fritz said the body, burnt beyond recognition, was discovered in the boot of the burnt-out Hyundai Ascent in Silversands Road, Mfuleni.

He commended the police for two arrests made so far.

Fritz added: ‘We cannot tolerate such a gross disregard for the peace and safety of the people of our province. We cannot allow gangsters to intimidate and terrorise our communities, particularly those that are most vulnerable.’

He called on the police to ‘firstly determine whether this was a gang-related murder and, secondly, to ensure the arrest, conviction and incarceration of gang leaders who may have given the directive to kill an SANDF soldier. The SANDF have been deployed to assist us in safeguarding the province and we must do everything in our power to support them in this regard.’

 

If you like what you have just read, become a Friend of the IRR if you aren’t already one by SMSing your name to 32823 or clicking here. Each SMS costs R1.’ Terms & Conditions Apply.

 

 


comments powered by Disqus